Mama of Many-Daddy too!







Come on In--



Friday, February 7, 2014

Family life much????

So y'all know my daughter Carolyn works at the grocery store by the house.  I love her working here, its not a big chain, like Kroger, its a bit smaller, all the people that work there are either retired woman or college kids, but college kids that are all decent kids, all respectful and just a great group of young people.  I've been going in their for years so even before Carolyn started to work there I was on first name basis with most the employees.  They really like Carolyn there, and when I go in they always say, ...Carolyn said this or Carolyn is so great, so glad she works here...etc...
 
Well Carolyn also goes to the University here in Nebraska.  She hasn't made any friends, doesn't socialize, but just goes to class and during her break in the day she eats alone and then goes and studies, all her friends graduated and went back to where they live since they were all boarders for the most part, so she's not really socializing in real life right now.  But she's so driven it doesnt' seem to bother her, but I"d like to see her have a little more decent fun in her life, but she's a smart kid so she'll figure that out.  She does like to work and enjoys the people she works with.
 
So the other day they had free hot chocolate and just as she was reaching for her's another girl was at the same time, they looked over and it was one of her co-workers.  This young lady looks like she's 16 easy but she's 26.  A senior, working herself through school, you can see she's a good girl, very nice, a Christian of some sort, anyhow they decided to have lunch together once a week and I was pretty happy about that.
 

Today I went into the grocery store and Michelle was checking me out, we always chat for a minute and she says to me, "you know I had lunch with Carolyn and I am so entralled, it just warms my heart"  she puts her hand to her chest and then continues, "the family love you all possess is so wonderful, she talks about the family, we see you guys come in here and it would be just anyones dream to have what you have, I just have to tell you I'm so impressed with you."  ok, I was really taken back for a minute, thanked her and said, "yeah, we're a close family" but I kind of felt kinda sad.  Why is it this society has changed so much that family is not a priority, why is family as we have now a rare thing?  We aren't special, we're just a family, why are people so pulled to us?  Its really a shame, that its not the norm, often times people look at me like me and Steve have done the impossible or like we did some amazing feat, isn't this just what families do?  We are just normal people doing normal life.  Isn't this just normal?  Something to ponder for sure, but while I was very appreciative and the kids here this stuff and they are appreciative, but in a way I'm a little sad that family has become so rare.

No comments: